Monday, February 25, 2008

Thing 12

Hummm, I'm not liking these. I don't think that I want to rely on all the Internetites out there to decide what is "popular" news. Digg: You won’t find editors at [Digg]… provide[s] a place where people can collectively determine the value of content and we’re changing the way people consume information online.”
One could just as well say about libraries, "You won't find librarians at the library.. but people can collectively determine the value of books and content and can change the way people consume information." Wow, we'd have buildings full of Danielle Steele and James Patterson.
Although I don't always trust the news, I figure that editors, journalists, etc. are the experts. And what about this from Digg: If your submission rocks and receives enough Diggs, it is promoted to the front page for the millions of our visitors to see. So this is some weird competition to see who can find the most obscure news feature?
Examples of "popular news"
Jimmy Kimmel's Video Response to Sarah Silverman: "I'm F*cking Ben Affleck!"
In Case of Headcrab Infestation [Pic] (chidori.animecrew.org)
10 Signs Your Pastor is Getting Pissy
How is this useless drivel supposed to help me at the reference desk? I must be missing something here.

No comments: